Brief Curriculum Vitae
Department of Physics
Cambridge, MA 02138
Phone: (617) 495 - 3923
Fax: (617) 496-2545
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Web : http://sachdev.physics.harvard.edu
- Herchel Smith Professor of Physics at Harvard University, July 1, 2015 onwards.
- Professor of Physics at Harvard University, July 1, 2005 to June 30, 2015.
- Stanley S. Hanna Visiting Professor, Stanford University, Fall 2017.
- Dr. Homi Bhabha Chair Professorship at the
Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2019.
- Cenovus Energy James Clerk Maxwell Chair in Theoretical Physics (Visiting) at the
Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, Feb 1, 2014 onwards.
- Professor of Physics and Applied Physics at Yale
University, July 1, 1995 to June 30, 2005.
- Associate Professor (tenured) of Physics and Applied Physics at Yale
University, July 1, 1992 to June 30, 1995.
- Associate Professor (term) of Physics and Applied Physics at Yale
University, July 1, 1989 to June 30, 1992.
- Assistant Professor of Physics and Applied Physics at Yale
University, July 1, 1987 to June 30, 1989.
- Postdoctoral Member of Technical Staff at AT&T Bell
Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ from September 1, 1985 to August 31,
Education and Degrees
- High school (upto 10th grade) at St. Joseph's Boys High School, Bangalore, India.
- 11th grade at Kendriya Vidyalaya, ASC Center, Bangalore, India.
- Freshman year at the Indian Institute
of Technology, Delhi, 1978-79.
- S. B. (Bachelor of Science) in Physics from the Massachusetts
Institute of Technology, February 1982.
- A. M. (Master of Arts) in Physics from Harvard
University, June 1984.
- Ph. D. in Theoretical Physics from Harvard
University, November 1985. Thesis title: Frustration and Order in Rapidly
- M. A. (honorary) from Yale University, 1995.
- Lars Onsager Prize (picture), American Physical Society, 2018.
Citation: for his seminal contributions to the theory of quantum phase transitions, quantum magnetism, and fractionalized
spin liquids, and for his leadership in the physics community.
- Star Family Prize for Excellence in Advising, Certificate of Distinction, Harvard University, 2016.
- Dirac Medal (picture)
for the Advancement of
Theoretical Physics, the Australian Institute of Physics, the University of New South Wales, and the Royal Society
of New South Wales, 2015.
Citation: The Dirac Medal was awarded to Professor Sachdev in recognition of his many seminal contributions to the theory of strongly interacting condensed matter systems: quantum phase transitions, including the idea of critical deconfinement and the breakdown of the conventional symmetry based Landau-Ginsburg-Wilson paradigm; the prediction of exotic 'spin-liquid' and fractionalized states; and applications to the theory of high-temperature superconductivity in the cuprate materials.
- Member of the U.S. National Academy of Sciences, 2014
Sachdev has made seminal advances in the theory of condensed matter systems near a quantum phase transition, which have elucidated the rich variety of static and dynamic behavior in such systems, both at finite temperatures and at T=0. His book, Quantum Phase Transitions, is the basic text of the field.
- Salam Distinguished Lectures 2014, The Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy.
- Lorentz Chair, Instituut-Lorentz, 2012
- Distinguished Visiting Research Chair
at the Perimeter Institute for Theoretical Physics, 2009-2014.
- John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation Fellow, 2003.
- Fellow of the American Physical Society, 2001
Citation: For his contributions to the theory of quantum phase transitions and its application to correlated electron materials.
- Alfred P. Sloan Foundation
Fellow, February 1989.
- Presidential Young Investigator, National
Science Foundation, July 1988 - July 1993.
- LeRoy Apker Award,
given by the American Physical Society
for ‘outstanding achievement in physics by an undergraduate’, January 1983.
Significant Research Accomplishments
See Wikipedia page.
Named and plenary lectures
- Homi Bhabha Memorial Public Lecture, IISER Pune, November 14, 2017.
- Distinguished lecture, Texas A&M University, November 9, 2017.
- Biard Lecture, California Institute of Technology, Pasadena, November 2, 2017.
- 13th Homi Bhabha Public Lecture, Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai, January 17, 2017.
- Dirac Lecture, University of New South Wales, Australia, September 1, 2015.
- Salam Distinguished Lectures, The Abdus Salam International Center for Theoretical Physics, Trieste, Italy, January 27-30, 2014.
- Institute Lecture, Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur, January 21, 2014.
- Bethe Colloquium, Bethe Center for Theoretical Physics, University of Bonn, January 14, 2013.
- Lorentz Chair, Instituut-Lorentz, May 7, 14, 21, June 4, 2012.
- Arnold Sommerfeld Lectures, University of Munich, January 31 - February 3, 2012.
- HRI-Girdharilal Mehta Lecture, Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad, January 13, 2012.
- Rapporteur at the 25th Solvay Conference on Physics - The Theory of the Quantum World, Brussels, October 19-22, 2011.
- Plenary talk at the International Conference on
Strong Correlated Electron Systems,
August 30, 2011.
- Marc Kac Memorial Lectures, Los Alamos National Laboratory, May 3-5, 2011.
- Moshe Flato Lectures, Ben Gurion University, March 10, 2011.
- Subramanyan Chandrasekhar Lectures, International Center for Theoretical Sciences,
Bangalore, Dec 6-8, 2010
- Plenary talk at the 24th International Conference on Statistical Physics, Cairns, Australia, July 2010.
- Niels Bohr Lecture, Niels Bohr Institute, May 5, 2010
- Colloquium Pierre et Marie Curie, University of Paris, May 3, 2010
- De Sitter Lecture Series in Theoretical Physics 2009, University of Groningen, November 2009
- Solvay colloquium, International Solvay Institutes, Brussels, October 2009
- Rapporteur at the 24th Solvay Conference on Physics, Quantum Theory of Condensed Matter, Brussels, Oct 11-13, 2008.
- Plenary talk at the 25th International Conference on Low
Temperature Physics, Amsterdam, August 2008
- Distinguished Lecture Series, Technion, Israel, March 2007.
- Plenary talk at the International Conference on Strongly Correlated Electronic Systems,
Karlsruhe, Germany, July 2004
- F. A. Matsen Endowed Regents Lecture on the Structure of Matter at the University of Texas at Austin, October 2002.
- "Colloquium Ehrenfestii", at the Lorentz
Institute in Leiden, Holland, May 1998.
- Plenary talk at the 19th International Conference on Statistical Physics, Xiamen, August 1995.
Ph.D. Students and Postdocs